Saturday, 23 May 2015

Canna x ehemannii

Now for the big one - I've been looking forward to this. I finally have some divisions from the big clump on the nursery.
Canna x ehemannii, Caryopteris divaricata & Thladiantha dubia
This is a wonderful plant - I normally find Cannas a bit garish for my taste but this one has both vivid flowers and real class, plus it's an enormous tropical looking banana-y thing to 10ft or more in full flower with broad lush green leaves.
Canna x ehemannii
Plus, it's been hardy here. All I've done is give it a thick pile of straw in winter.
Canna x ehemannii
It dies down completely (the straw is held in place by the dead stems) but always reappears in May and is luxuriant and magnificent by August. A wonderful plant for anyone with a taste for the tropics.
Many thanks to Alan for the original plant.
Canna x ehemannii
Sold out for now - new divisions available in spring

No comments: